Monday, March 7, 2011

death dream





Ever since childhood, I've had dreams about death. Such dreams aren't morbid. They merely underline the strangeness of existence. It's hard to believe that one is a breathing, digesting, thinking organism, for no apparent purpose other than to survive until corpsehood. Last night I dreamed about being a seasoned superhero, like Morono Man, approaching the scene of a shootout. I got out of the 1967 Chevrolet Biscayne and was about to let the gangsters know their time was up when a bullet went into my chest, spiraled around inside the rib cage and knocked me backwards, against the car door. A second bullet went in and similarly spiraled around, without hitting vital organs. I began blacking out as a third bullet went in. With the fourth bullet, it felt like falling down a well.

The whole thing was quite peaceful, like having a heavy burden lifted off one's shoulders. It was pleasant to sink into darkness, to be finally freed from the human condition. Then I woke up with pain in the shoulder.

No comments: