Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Is this a disturbing image?





 Is this a disturbing image? I ask this, because somebody went: eew, after seeing this picture. It's a picture of two Arctic Char, in Kangirsuk, caught and prepared by Inuit fishermen and fisherwomen.


I took this photo while living in the Arctic, when invited to partake of fish dinner. Inuit children told me the fish eyes taste like candy. I never sampled the eyes. There's tasty meat in the cheeks.

A cat picture was featured in the last post. It seemed like a progression, cat to fish. Cats are known to enjoy eating fish. In a big fish eat little fish world, two heads are better than one. Do fish think? Fish swim around in schools. I wonder what school those fish were from?

Like it or not, to live requires death. Even vegetarians have to kill in order to eat. Plants die. Insects get killed during cultivation of plants. I wonder how many microscopic organisms on my body die each time I roll over in bed at night?

I find the heads quite beautiful. The Char is a majestic fish and tastes great. Hunting and fish are part of survival in the arctic. One can't grow crops on fields of ice and snow. When I asked Inuit women if they felt it ok for me to show pictures of a recently killed wolf, a woman replied: why not? It's part of our culture?

She was almost offended by my question. The day the wolf was shot, after attacking a village dog, a woman brought the wolf to school. Everyone came out to have a look. Somebody put snow in the wolf's mouth, to appease the wolf spirit. Boys pulled open the jaws to marvel at the big teeth and long tongue. The wolf was a beautiful creature. I felt sad that it died. That's part of the cycle of northern existence. I felt sad the fish had to die. I feel sad to see meat in the supermarket, but that's life, what are you going to do? Life is larger than my religious little heart.


No comments: